Friday, August 13, 2010

chocolate cake for a chocolate lover... that's not so chocolatey?.... huh?

happy birthday to my mom! :o)

my mom's birthday is just another cake i was dying to make. she LOVES chocolate, but can't eat much of it because it tends to give her a headache, so how do you make a chocolate cake without giving your mom a giant headache? uhhh, trick her! duh! :o) what do i mean? well, one of the things i LOVE LOVE LOVE about my mom is that all you have to do is say the word "chocolate" and her eyes glaze over and she can smell it and she starts to smile the smile that only a passionate lover of chocolate can make.


see how much i like to challenge myself? the cake i designed had to look like a chocolate dream, but couldn't give her a headache...what to do? what to do?

well i first start with my sketches...

the design: a stacked cake. the bottom tier i decided to make her a giant rectangular cake that looked like a hershey's bar, only instead it would say "linda's." on top of that one, i put a super ginormous hunk of chocolate cake, just like nana used to make, and put an oversized sugar paste candle with a sugary flame.

inside the cake was a white vanilla, filled with a rich oreo butter cream. i then iced the whole thing with my italian meringue butter cream. I covered it all with a tinted vanilla fondant - by tinted, i mean tinted to a chocolately brown. i did some royal icing piping, stamped her name over and over into little rectangles and hand-painted the hunk of cake to look like a filled, old-school cake.

i surprised her with her cake and her reaction was priceless. her reaction is WHY i love cake!

my favorite part? she smells it and says "Oh my god! I can't wait to eat it! It smells like a giant Hershey's bar!!" and later, upon eating it exclaims, "it tastes so chocolatey!" ... (to which i scratch my head and tell her there's no chocolate in the fondant)... we laugh. gotta love a chocoholic! :o)

here are some more pics:




No comments: